In the 1930’s the Dust Bowl ravaged Oklahoma and caused soil loss and water degradation. In 1937, the U.S. Congress encouraged states to create conservation districts to work with the federal government on soil erosion. In response to this, in 1937, The Oklahoma State Legislature passed the Conservation District Enabling Act, which created the conservation districts. On April 12, 1938, the Arkansas-Verdigris Conservation District was the second conservation district to form in the state, with offices located in Broken Arrow, OK with five local citizens as the supervising board of directors. In 192, the boundaries of the conservation district we moved from old watershed boundaries to the current boundary of the Tulsa County line, and the district became known as it is today: Tulsa County Conservation District.
TCCD is the only local unit of government charged with the responsibility of conserving our natural resources. The District’s conservation education programs help children, young adults and adults understand the importance of our natural resources and the ever growing need for conserving them.
Since 1938, the TCCD and NRCS (previously the Soil Conservation Service) have worked together with land users to provide cost share programs and sound solutions to many conservation issues and concerns that occur in urban and rural areas of Tulsa County.
If you would like to learn more about TCCD programs and partners, please go to their website at tulsaccd.org for more information.